Monday, August 10, 2009

Trying Something New

Hey, folks.

I hope you're having a good Monday. Things are still same old, same old around our house.

The pet fish are still alive, and we had an interesting time cleaning their bowls yesterday.

The Princess can reach some of the light switches in the house and has had an interesting time flipping them on and off to see what they do.

I discovered Netflix this weekend and wow, I could REALLY get addicted to it. And yes, I know it's been around for a while, but unlike most of my friends and family, I am a tech-no-nothing. I am usually the last to jump on the latest technology in anything. All the new-fangled gadgets and gizmos (and even concepts) have to be out for a LONG, LONG time before I am willing to give it a try.

So there was a new show on TV I wanted to catch the back episodes of. I checked the website, but they didn't have the old episodes going back that far.

So we called around our area to see if any of the video stores had the back seasons out on DVD for rent.

No.

I could have ordered the DVD's from Amazon, but they cost more than I wanted to pay.

Enter Netflix. "Download instantly to your PC or TV." Sounds great.

Then I read the fine print. You must have some sort of converter box to watch instantly on the TV, and it takes a while for those to arrive.

But the PC thing looked promising. I got Hubby to check it out and he said go for it. I downloaded the software and was all set.

Except for one little problem.

The TV show I wanted to download wasn't part of their watch instantly program. I have to wait for the DVD's to come in the mail.

Okay. Not what I wanted but for cheaper than than buying the whole set, the episodes will be mailed to me, and I can send them back for the next season.

Great. I placed the order and checked for my confirmation email.

Tiny snaffoo when I opened the e-mail. The first season of the show is in a 4 disc set. They will be mailing Season 1, Disc 1 today. According to the plan I signed up for (and this is a great lesson to always make sure you understand what you're signing up for), I can only get one disc at a time. Not one season of the show, but one disc out of the set, until I mail that one back, and then I get the next.

Bummer.

But on the plus side, out of all the movies they had in the watch instantly category, I got to watch several that I've been wanting to see for quite a while.

So I'm not entirely disappointed with signing up. They have a free two-week trial, but I doubt I can watch all the episodes on the discs, including mailing time, within the two weeks.

But I don't know that I'll continue the subscription either. I'll talk to Hubby, and see what he thinks about it.

I hope you all have a great week, and I'll catch you on Wednesday.

Later.

No comments: