Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mrs. Grump

Good morning.

Well, it's sort of good. I am a mega grouch today, and this post will probably be lemon-sour, so you might want to skip today and read again when I am in a better mood.

The summer is half over (yay!!!), but the kids are making me CRAZY!!!

The twins have figured out how to help their little sister out of her crib in the morning, and I woke up to an enormous mess. The twins are becoming more independent and the more they try to do it themselves, the more I have to clean.

They know where the Pop-Tarts are, how to get them out, and they even give one to their sister. But they have no concept of how to clean up the mess they make with the crumbs on the floor, wrappers left on the floor and counters, and the box sitting in front of the pantry and a trail of unopened pastries leading from the kitchen to the living room (this would be the work of the toddler).

Toys are dragged out, but not put up, and the constant laundry is giving me nightmares about being attacked by my washer and dryer.

When I make them pick up their toys, the high-pitched wailing can be heard in the next county, and I know the neighbors probably think I beat them on an hourly basis. And don't think I haven't considered beating them every hour, on the hour, just to make them listen.

I guess I'm just grumpy from the NEVER-ending cycle of cleaning up and it's dirty again before I can sit down to enjoy the results.

But I also know that's life with kids.

The fighting is driving me insane, and I completely understand my mother's policy of, "I don't care who started it, I'll finish it!!! Now, GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!"

As I type this post, thanks to a brilliant suggestion from my mother-in-law, the twins are locked outside, literally, although I am typing by the open window right beside the patio and can see and hear every little nit-picking detail of their skirmishing.

But they aren't doing it in the house.

The toddler is in her play-yard reading books, and doesn't have her partners in crime to bust her out. So I have a few minutes to finish this up, although I've probably been interrupted ten times since I started writing this post.

All I can say is I can't wait for school to start in the fall, and I am going to be looking for more ways to keep the kids occupied and out of trouble. And to keep me sane.

Hope you have a great rest of the week.

Later.

2 comments:

carla stewart said...

I confess I am the wicked m-i-l who used to lock her kids outside to catch my breath. Or mop the kitchen (from the mess!). Or read the newspaper. I shudder to think what my children will do to me in their old age . . . wait . . . they've already got me back by being teenagers. In a few years, this will seem like a piece of cake when the kids get their driver's licenses. A whole new set of ways to drive you crazy. I'll be praying, okay?

Denice Stewart said...

Cool.