Friday, July 11, 2008

Commercials are Evil

No organization yet, but hoping to give it a shot this weekend.

I have decided commercials are evil! My twins have been watching their morning cartoons, and one of them looked at me as a commercial for a kids music CD came on.

"Mommy, can we get that?"

"No."

"Does it cost money?"

"Yes."

"And we don't have many money?" (Meaning they, the twins, don't have any money of their own)

"No, you don't."

"How many stickers do we have to earn before we can get many money?"

"Lots and lots of stickers."

Collective sigh, and back to watching commercials before their show starts again.

They say as a parent you get paid back for everything you ever did to your parents as a kid, and in this case, it's true. As a child, I was the queen of commercials. I spent hours in my bedroom, playing out commercials I had seen on TV. I helped my mom take clothes out of the dryer, and commented on how "April Soft" the clothes were, and rubbed them against my cheeks.

My brother and I pestered our mom relentlessly about what we wanted to buy, because we saw it on a commercial. And catalogs, too. We wanted everything we saw in catalogs and on TV.

Now my children are following in my footsteps. Oh, well. I guess it's to be expected. I just hope I can handle my kids with as much grace and patience as my mom handled me and my brother.

No comments: