Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Decorating

Good morning, all. I hope you are having a great week.

I think our household is finishing off the last round of a cold bug. Dear Hubby came home early from work yesterday with a cough, stuffy nose, and achy. He went straight to bed, and didn't get up again until this morning. But he seems to be doing great today. I guess 14 hours of sleep is just what he needed.

Oh, Christmas is rushing at me, a head-on collision in the making, and I am SOOOOO unprepared. We've managed to get our tree down, and set up, but no decorations, lights, tinsel, etc. adorn the branches yet. We probably won't do lights on the house, and we'll be lucky to get more than just the tree to decorate the inside as well.

I'm not entirely sure why.

I know my family decorated when we were kids, not all out department-store window decorating, but lights, wreaths, bows, candy canes, etc.

In college, I was never at my apartment during the holidays, so it seemed like a waste to put up decorations for a week, and then we'd be well into the new year before I got back.

After I got married, and Hubby went to grad school, it was kind of the same thing. We decorated some, but we never spent the two weeks surrounding Christmas at home. Plus we had two cats, and couldn't keep them out of the tree.

Then we moved to Arkansas, and it was the same scenario. We weren't home, we rented tiny houses for the first few years and didn't have much room for a tree or the decorations, and I never saw the point of doing all that work if we weren't going to be there to enjoy any of it.

Our first year back in Oklahoma we were in an apartment while our house was being built, and the same old story; no space, small children who wanted to play with all those pretty, shiny glass ornaments, and we spent most of the time at our family's houses anyway.

But now it's different. We have our own house, we won't be gone for weeks at a time during December, and the kids are totally psyched about having decorations for Christmas.

The only problem is me. I just haven't found that "Decorating Spirit" yet. The one that says get going, decorate that tree, get those other decorations out and put Christmas bling everywhere. Maybe over the weekend the spirit will take me, but until then, I'll be struggling just to get the tree done.

I know I don't want to disappoint my boys, so we'll probably be adding more and more as the month goes by. And that doesn't even include all the shopping left to do.

But we will persevere and get it done!

I hope you all have yours finished already.

Later.

No comments: