Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Off to the Conference

Today is the day. In a few hours I will be on a plane and flying off into the great blue yonder, destination: Minneapolis!

The twins crawled into bed with me this morning to discuss my impending absence, and one twin kept asking why I was going to "Mini-apples". And would I bring some tiny fruit back for him.

They wanted me to walk them into the school this morning so they could give me great-big good-bye hugs. We got though the doors, and I was bending down for the much anticipated embrace, when a friend from Twin A's class called to him. Bam! Gone like a bolt of lightning. I barely got a good-bye and a wave over the shoulder. Twin B, torn between Mommy waiting for her hug, and his brother escaping down the hall, voted for an air kiss in my direction as he hurried after his sibling.

I'm standing there calling, "But, what about my hug?!" when a teacher monitoring the hallway gives my a sympathetic smile.

"I think they'll be okay. They look like they're adjusting fine." Obviously she was convinced I just couldn't let go of them now that they are growing up.

I tried not to roll my eyes. "I know they're fine. I'm leaving for a trip today, and the whole point of my coming inside was for hugs before I leave."

Then she became sympathetic for a whole new reason. "Oh. Isn't it sad how fast they grow up and leave us behind?"

Yeah. Just terrible.

So, anyway, I'm off to finish up the last minute details, and then I am gone! Keep hubby and children in your thoughts.

2 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, there.
I like your blog. :)
It was great to meet you.

Denice Stewart said...

Wow!! Thanks!