Friday, September 12, 2008

Here We Go Again

You'd think I would learn my lesson one of these days, and stop posting about "Things are fine."

Since the last post, we have hit Chaos City in our house. We have a leaky roof that needs to be fixed. Called the home warranty people, and they sent someone out. "Sure, we can fix that. Fix the roof around the chimney (cause that's where the leak is), fix that drywall, repaint, we'll have you fixed up good as new. Send someone out tomorrow." That was last week. No one has been here to repair the roof, and I am only gone for one hour during the day when I pick up my sons, so I have no idea what the hold up is.

The baby is spitting up again, though not much, as we have started the process of switching her over from formula to whole milk. Although this morning I got to clean up a huge pile of puke that she decided to slap her hands and feet in. Major fun . . . NOT!

Twin A has a urinary tract infection, and the poor little guy is just miserable. We were on our way home from school on Wednesday when he informed me he had been going to the bathroom a lot today, and needed to go again. We were halfway home when he started wiggling in the seat, practically crying, telling me he couldn't hold it until we got home. Since we are out in the country, I pulled off on the first road I came to, which happened to be a muddy mess of a dirt road, and he hopped out, trying not to land in a mud hole.

And nothing. He strained for a few minutes trying to go, but couldn't. RED FLAG!

After we got home, he went 50 times during the evening, with results less than ten percent of the time.

The next morning we called the school to tell them he was staying home (which he was upset about, he really likes Kindergarten, YAY!), and called the doctor's office to get him into the first available appointment. So at 8:30am I am loading the boy and the baby into the car. We didn't even get the seat belt buckled, and he had to go to the bathroom. And again. And again.

I finally had to strap him in and go so we wouldn't miss our appointment, and we had to stop twice on the way, still with no results. So the last half of the ten minute drive I had to make him hold it, even though there was nothing left to hold, and my poor baby screamed and cried the whole time, afraid he was going to have an accident in his pants.

I still get teary-eyed thinking about him crying so hard over something neither of us could control. So I was treated to a healthy dose of being a helpless parent while your child is losing it. Not a pretty picture, never want to go through that again, although I'm sure I will.

I understand now why my dad threatened to throw a computer, and a nurse, through a plate-glass window after my brother broke his arm. The instinct to protect your child is STRONG, whether the danger is real or perceived.

But I am happy to report that the sudden urges and frequency of the bathroom visits have started to diminish with just one day of antibiotics, but we will be finishing out an entire round to make sure this infection is gone. He is at school today after talking to the teacher to make sure it was okay for him to be there, even though he will have to get up and go many, many, many times. But she seemed fine with him being there today, so we'll see if I get a call later or not.

I hope we have an uneventful weekend, and I hope you all have a great one. See you Monday!

No comments: