Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tornado Tuesday

Hello, all.

Well, first of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Misty!

My sister-in-law is having her first 29th Birthday, and will not be having any other birthdays from this point forward.

We are also having a time today after the tornadoes yesterday.

When we realized the weather was getting bad, and were certain tornadoes would form, we got our important stuff together, some emergency supplies, and decided to go get the boys from school a little early. The way the weather-men were talking, it would be hitting right about the time we would be picking them up after school.

We thought we were doing a pre-emptive strike.

Not quite.

We got to the school right as the hail started to fall, and when we got inside, rotation had already started a few miles away, and was bearing down fast.

The kids were in lock-down in a safe-room at the school, and the principal wasn't releasing anybody. We were allowed to come into the room with them, but not to take them until the tornado warning expired.

Which was fine with me. I just wanted to be with my kids.

Finding them amongst the 500 other children took a little time, but since they had the youngest closest to the front, it wasn't too hard.

They stayed with us the whole time, and really thought the whole thing was a big game, but listening to the golf-ball sized hail pound the roof (and our car parked out front), and hearing the howling winds made the whole experience very real to me.

I guess it's one of those mother-bear things. I was ready to drag them against me and cover them with my body to protect them if the building started to come apart.

Not that they weren't in completely capable hands with their teachers and the school administrators, but I just felt like I could protect them better (I know, I know, there's no such thing in a disaster situation, but still . . . ).

Anyway.

It's over for now, and we only have the rest of the spring to get through. This is only the beginning of tornado season, unfortunately, and I hope and pray this is a very inactive season.

But we're all okay, our neighborhood is fine, and my heart and prayers go out to the families who've lost loved ones, have lost their homes, or lost their businesses. May God comfort them and help them through this difficult time.

Later.

No comments: