Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Good morning.

Well, I'm going to tell a funny on myself today because I feel like a total idiot and maybe y'all will get a good laugh in the middle of the week.

So last night, Hubby and I were working on dinner. We decided to make toasted sub sandwiches just because it sounded good and we didn't have to do a lot of "cooking".

We got all the ingredients out, and I remembered we'd brought home a ton of home-grown peppers from my mother's house over the weekend. A neighbor across the street from her has a garden and has been very generous in sharing with our family. And the peppers varied from green & red, jalapenos, etc.

So we're cooking and I grabbed a banana pepper; nice, mild, slightly sweet. I cleaned out the seeds, cut it into strips, and my son asked for a bite.

Sure.

I handed him a piece.

He took a bite.

His face turned bright red, he started panting and drooling, and waving his hand at his gaping mouth.

"It's hot! It's hot!" he screamed.

We gave him a glass of milk and Hubby stared at me. I stared back.

"They're only banana peppers," I said. "They shouldn't be hot."

Hubby popped a piece in his mouth. Same reaction. Red face, drooling, panting. "Not banana peppers!" He chugged from the jug of milk.

Well, yes, actually they are banana peppers, but I found out that if you plant sweet peppers close to spicy peppers, they become cross-pollinated and result in spicy peppers.

And the worst part is that I got those seeds and the oil all over my fingers and no matter how many times I washed my hands last night, I still couldn't get the spicy off them.

My mouth burned every time I got my fingers near it. Managed to burn my eyes when I was washing my face before bed. My skin sizzled all night.

Totally felt like a moron.

So I'll probably be avoiding peppers for a while, and I think my son probably will, too.

Hope the rest of your week goes well.

Later.

No comments: