Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reality TV

I think I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't watch reality TV. The closest I get to reality TV is watching the news. I admit to being a CNN/FoxNews/MSNBC junkie, but I have yet to cross the line into shows like (and these are just examples off the top of my head, I know the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...): American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, the Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor, The Biggest Loser, The Bachelor, Bridezillas, the Hills, Fear Factor (is that still on anymore?), American Gladiators, etc., etc., etc.

This list could go on forever, and yet, I have not sat down and really gotten into a show. And I have a hard time coming up with a reason for not watching. My mom watches The Amazing Race and thinks I would love it. My in-laws watch Dancing with the Stars and think I would love it. My sister-in-law watches American Idol...you get the point here.

And I am sure they are all fine shows, but something just makes me say, "No, not me. I don't have any interest in this type of programming." If it's not a sitcom, drama, or movie, I just don't feel like watching. What is wrong with me?

Millions of people around the world watch these shows. Why can't I get interested in one? I suppose one day I will turn the TV on, the remote will be lost in the couch cushions, in the freezer, in the toy box or in the baby's hamper, and I will be forced to watch whatever happens to be on because I am too lazy to get up and change the channel. And then I will find myself immersed in the wonderful world of reality TV, but until that day comes, I guess I'll stick with my regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: