Friday, August 29, 2008

This Is My Story

I have lots of blogs that I read every morning before I get started on my daily word count. Every single one of them are in some way, shape, or form, writing related.

Two of the blogs are about screenwriting - no, I'm not working on a movie or anything, but they have great insight about character development, theme, action beats, pacing, etc.

Two of the blogs are agents who offer valuable insight into the world of publishing, not to mention they answer questions we lowly author wanna-be's ask.

One blog is from the CEO of a major publishing company. Anything he has to say is absorbed by thousands, and therefore worthy of my short attention span.

One blog is about marketing, and the rest are by other writers who are offering a variety of information . . . book reviews, help with the writing craft and technique, things they have learned along the road to publishing, and an infinite number of other topics (one even showed her readers how to knit a toilet seat cover - not the lid, but the actual seat!).

A comment today on one of the blogs got me to thinking. This reader posted that they come to this person's blog to get a specific type of information (in this case, insight into the publishing industry). The blogger happened to be tired (we know because she told us), and wrote about nothing work related.

The reader wasn't happy. They told her they were tired of reading blog posts about:
Cute pets (no pets, don't need a pet, couldn't even handle a goldfish at this point),
What the blogger ate for breakfast (in my case, a Diet Coke, bbq chips, and a grape, if anyone is interested),
What their kids were doing (I do this, like, EVERY DAY),
The funny thing that happened while doing their laundry (nothing funny about laundry, don't like laundry, piles of laundry as far as the eye can see),
and that the blogger should really consider getting back to what people came to their blog for in the first place, to read about the publishing industry.

So here's my thing. I'm a stay-at-home mother of three. A wife. A daughter. A sister. A friend. I'm trying to write tween adventure stories, AND adult romantic comedies. My world revolves around my kids, my husband, our home, our families, my writing, and if I have the time, reading.

And I am always looking for something light and funny to share so that some day my readers (both book and blog), will feel that personal connection to me. I look for the funny and ridiculous every day.

So I will probably keep writing about the goofy things that happen in our lives. I don't have great wisdom (or even tiny tips) to give other writers, I don't have insight into publishing, I'm not a CEO (unless you count CEO of Stewart Household, Inc.), and I don't know how to knit so you'll get no toilet seat covers from me.

This is my life. This is what I write about, and I hope you'll come back for more. See ya Monday!

No comments: