Thursday, April 17, 2008

The First Blog

Welcome. I have yet to post a blog entry because I really didn't have anything to say.

And now I do.

Sort of.

My first blog entry will be about...organization. Why? Because I can.

And because I am probably the most unorganized person on the planet. We moved into a new house 7 months ago and I still have boxes stacked in the garage, the living room, the dining room, the bedrooms (all of them)...you get the idea. There are no pictures on the walls, cabinets still sitting empty with a box of stuff designated for that cabinet right in front of it, and piles of paperwork - oh, the horror! I shudder every time I look at all that paperwork.

So why don't I do something about it? Because I don't know where to start.

I become paralized with indecision when faced with the task of designating a place for everything. My mind races with questions: where should it go, how often is it used, would it be better in a different room, do I even need it, when was the last time I used it, what if I need it later, and on and on and on.

But this week I have taken my first step toward organization. I am promoting my new book, Where Would Cows Hide?, and as I spend money on office supplies, promotional materials (business cards, bookmarks, postcards, etc), print out receipts, and attempt to put these items in some sort of order, I decided I need to get my office put together.

I have been cleaning off a huge desk/book shelf set created by my fabulous father-in-law, Max. I have been finding a place for everything, and when the questions start to creep in, and the indecision starts to mire the process, I take a deep breath and tell myself, "Just find a place to put it. This is not its final resting place. You can move it later."

And it really is coming together. I may have a functioning office by Sunday night.

So if you have problems with getting organized, just tell yourself to put it somewhere, and remember it can always be moved to a more proper home later.

No comments: